3400 N. Rockwell
Chicago, IL 60618
Richard Clark Park comprises nineteen acres of green space along the east bank of the Chicago River in the North Center neighborhood. The park's soccer fields and bike trails sit on land once occupied by the fondly-remembered Riverview Amusement Park.
Riverview, created in 1904 on the site of a former German hunting preserve, was for a time the world's largest amusement park, with a massive roller coaster, a double Ferris wheel, a tunnel of love, a water slide, a parachute drop, and carnival games of skill and chance, among many other things.
After the amusement park's demolition in 1967, the City of Chicago purchased more than three acres of the Riverview site, and the Chicago Park District transformed the site into parkland in 1979. Though ownership has never been formally transferred, the park district continues to lease the site. The park grew by another six acres in 1988 when the park district began leasing additional land along the river from the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District.
In 1986, the park was officially designated Richard Clark Park in honor of a Chicago police officer killed in the line of duty. Richard Clark (1938-1986) was an 18-year police veteran and member of the nearby Belmont Tactical Unit at the time of his death. Clark was shot and mortally wounded on April 3, 1986, while attempting to rescue a victim wounded by a gunman who had barricaded himself in his north side apartment.